1. Money
James Kimmons

iPad App of the Week - Zipforms

By August 13, 2010

It's no secret that I love my iPad.  And, I've been slowing moving more and more of my daily activity to the iPad.  I just installed the Zipform iPad/iPhone app, and I'm giving it a test run.  Already, I can see that it's well worth the $9.99 price.  I can access my Zipform account online, manage transactions and forms, and even start a new transaction.

The main drawback of the app, not being able to fill in a lot of the small blanks on a contract that aren't part of the ZipForm cover sheet, was overcome with the Smartnote app.  Smartnote lets me annotate PDF files.  So, once I have all of the form fields done via the cover sheet info in the Zipform app, I email it to myself, and then fill in any other necessary form fields with Smartnote.  It doesn't take long, but you can speed the process even more.  I created template transactions in Zipforms that are filled in with the normal and frequently used deadline and other fields.  When I want to start a new transaction on the iPad, I just open the Zipform app and choose a blank template transaction.  I get most of the frequently-used fields already done for me, then just do the cover sheet info to get the transaction specific fields all completed.

No, it's not as fast as doing it on my netbook at my desk, or even on a netbook in the field.  But, it's a lot easier to fire up the iPad than my netbook.  Next week I get my new HP Web printer that has its own email address and can receive attachments to print.  I'll be totally mobile then for contracts.  I just fill it in on the iPad and email it to the printer in the car.  Once I walk out to the car, the printer grabs my Palm Pre WiFi hotspot, receives the email and prints the documents.

Comments
September 15, 2010 at 1:12 pm
(1) Thom Baker says:

Would it not be easier just to access Zipforms on line and use it that way. You can import all Tax and listing info from MLS. I have not tried the IPAD to see if it works, but I would think it would and with docusign you are set to go.

September 15, 2010 at 2:14 pm
(2) realestate says:

Thom,

Thanks for the comment. I use Zipformonline on my desktop and my netbook, but it doesn’t function in a Safari browser on the iPad.

I want to use the iPad when I can in the field, and the app makes that happen, though some functionality isn’t available.

Jim

October 23, 2010 at 6:50 am
(3) Richard Fern says:

I just got an ipad for christmas , ya a little early. We use altastar in the office . When I try to down load it safari will not accept it. Also tried the my agent IDX app and it will not accept my agent number however I can use someone else number and works fine. however I can’t seem to find any apps that actually mimic the MLS. There maybe another program out there that I am not aware of , that does. any help would be great.

November 3, 2010 at 7:44 pm
(4) Ken Davis says:

I have tried to get the app, however iTunes says it is not available in US store. Is there a work around or will it be available soon?

November 4, 2010 at 7:38 am
(5) Jim Kimmons says:

Ken,

Since I wrote this, it appears that the app disappeared from the iPad app store. If you go to http://zipform.com, you’ll find a link to purchase it there, but it looks like you must have Zipform 6 Professional to do so. I have it, so my app just worked.

Jim

January 3, 2011 at 11:06 pm
(6) Murray Rubin says:

Once again the iPad fails. Had I know all the shortcomings such as lack of flash. And mow not being able to access the zipform library I would gave waited to purchase.

March 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm
(7) Buz says:

ZipForm Mobile for iPad is a screwy work around. Thankfully, I bought in to this towards the end of their contract year so they prorated my subscription to $6 and change.

It WILL NOT WORK if you have Private Browsing activated in you Safari preferences. And about every time they update or make a change to a form it is unaccessible on the iPad. So, you can not go back to make a change on a form that is over – let’s say – 6 months old.

They keep a version number on their end and obviously when one form is updated all the forms from that state get a new version number.
Most older version numbers will not display on the iPad.

September 16, 2013 at 11:24 pm
(8) Kaye Hirt says:

I have a new iPad mini–our state association subscribes to zipForms as part of our dues. I can’t seem to load it. When I install the app from the store, it won’t open–just gives me the promo.

September 17, 2013 at 9:24 am
(9) realestate says:

Kaye,

You have to sign up with Zipforms to use it.